Sunday, December 16, 2012

ZumbaDaddy Defies Medical Experts! Takes Another Zumba Class!









 
As the Fox News Alert went off on my phone I wondered what non-alert worthy headline would my phone be delivering to me today.  Mets trade Dickey? Jets bench Sanchez?  New Emblem3 tour? When I glanced down I could not believe my eyes.  "Death Prompts 'Gangnam Style Warning To Middle Aged Men'.  Health officials had issued a warning to out of shape middle aged men who can't dance ....not to! http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gangnam-style-death-prompts-warning-to-middleaged-men-not-to-attempt-the-vigorous-dance-8411905.html  I anticipated my cell phone began to ring off the hook, even though cell phones don't really go on the hook.  "ZumbaDaddy, did you hear the news? ZumbaDaddy, how does this affect your journey to Zumba for Life? ZumbaDaddy will you hang up your neon shirt, is it over?"
 
 
 
I took a moment to reflect and put my mind at ease by stretching out Zumba style. I seemed to walk for hours trying to decipher what this all meant to me. Not only do I Zumba, but I also have been known to kick it Gangnam Style.  Just then I realized that only 3 minutes had gone by since the news alert.  Like any good chief executive I called my staff of instructors.  Wilson, Gerry, Vanessa, Melissa and Phyllis listened to my concerns and gave me the answer I had been looking for.  "ZD", their nickname for me, "Your very journey was undertaken to avoid the risk of injury.  You knew you had work it, in order to make it to Zumba for Life.  Just continue with your training, don't overdue it, and stay within your limits.  The very beauty of  Zumba is that you only have to do what you can and you are free to stay within your range of comfort..  That's why Zumba is for everyone.  From the younger folk to the older folk and to everyone in between.  Even first timers can have fun as long as they don't overdue it and stay within their zone."  You know what, they were right.  After all, my first class with the Fitness Chica had gone fine.  It was fun, I moved it (however slightly) and I had done Zumba.
 
My mind was made up and my confidence was renewed just in time to take my next class with Certified Zumba Instructor, Phyllis Sorrentino, who I am told  sometimes goes by the name ZumbaMamma!  It would take place 8:30 Saturday Morning at Elizabeth's Dance Image in Brooklyn.  I was greeted by half a dozen smiles which immediately put me in the mood to Zumba.  The studio reminded me of the one from Saturday Night Fever from all those years ago, so there really wasn't anyplace for me to hide this time.  I was up close and personal and for better or worse I was in a position to eye myself in a huge mirror for the duration of the class.
 
As soon as the class started I began to worry less about the mirror and more about keeping up with Phyllis. She is an energetic instructor who while doing her routine seamlessly telegraphs the next move in the routine making it easier  to follow. Her song selection was inspiring and made me feel rather hip!  I'm still a mess when any sort of rhythm is required, and I am still working on a time delay when it comes to the moves, but I think I may have done a little better this time! I did make one very important note to myself for my next class... more restrictive undergarments!   Most importantly, once again I had stayed within my comfort zone, I kept hydrated and again i had fun!  Everyone was so  supportive, though I am sure I saw a couple of peeks and giggles during some of my more spastic moments. When the class was over, once again I had made some new friends who all pledged to join me in the fight against cancer at Zumba for Life on January 6th! It was a spectacular way to spend a Saturday morning!
 
I walked out of Dance Image, past all the Mom's taking their kids to dance class.  Their stares and glares and looks of curiosity didn't phase me.  I'm still an out of shape middle aged man who can't dance headed full speed towards a Zumba world record.  But I'm a little bit stronger and a little more fit than I was last week and I'm getting better everyday.  I'm defying the medical experts and coming to a Zumba class near you.  I may even show you a little Gangnam Style along the way.
 
ZD
Castle Rock, Maine
December 16, 2012
 
 
 







 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment